Banku (Cooked Cassava and Corn Dough)
Banku is a popular carbohydrate dish made from corn dough and cassava dough. It is a delicacy of indigenes from the Volta and Oti Regions in Ghana. The doughs are commonly found ready made in the open market. For cost efficiency, the dough can be prepared in house, portioned and stored in the freezer for as long as it is needed.
- 400g corn dough
- 200g cassava dough
- 250ml cold water
- 100ml hot water
- Salt to taste
1. Pour your desirable quantity of dry raw corn that has been taken off the cob into a plastic bowl.
2. Add enough water to cover the corn in the bowl. Do not rinse.
3. Leave to ferment for 3 days.
4. Wash the corn thoroughly after 3 days and drain off all the water.
5. Mill the corn and mix in a little water till the powdered texture turns into a firm paste.
6. For a sourer taste, the mixture can be fermented for two more days before freezing.
1. Wash and peel the cassava and remove the core.
2. Cut into small pieces, place in a bowl and add enough water to cover the cassava. Leave to ferment for 10 to 14 days.
3. Mill the cassava after the fermentation process.
4. Line a strainer with a clean thick cloth and set in a bowl. Ensure that there is space between the strainer and the bowl to collect the water.
5. Pour the cassava mixture into the lined strainer, cover with the excess cloth and a lid and leave for three more days to drain gently.
6. Portion and freeze.
- Mix all ingredients with the cold water in a pot with a long handle
- Put on moderate heat and stir until a smooth texture is achieved
- Keep stirring and turning till firm and smooth
- Add the hot water, cover and allow to boil for 5 minutes
- Uncover and continue stirring and turning for 10 more minutes.
- Take off the fire, portion and serve with any protein, soup or stew of choice.
- Air-conditioned Vehicle
- Tour Guide
- Market Tour
- Food stuffs
- Any private expenses
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- We can pick up guests within 10 km from the Accra Tourist Information Centre.
- Accra Tourist Information Centre, HRG6+2WV, Accra, Ghana In the Premises of Accra Tourist Information Centre. Near Afrikiko Restaurant on the Liberation Road, Opposite The Presidential Jubilee House.
- Airports: Kotoka Airport, Accra Ghana
- Ports: Tema
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
- Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
+233 302 794 442 or +233 207 150 150