Atosodze Jollof (Rice in Tomato Sauce with Vegetables)
A vegetarian version of Jollof can be made by replacing the chevon with assorted vegetable.
- 400g local rice (or any rice of choice)
- 400g diced (runner beans, carrots, bell pepper, cooked garden peas)
- 300g fresh pureed tomatoes
- 100g tin tomato paste
- 2 table spoon tomato ketchup (optional)
- 2 large sized onions (1 pureed, one sliced)
- 3 table spoons of garlic, ginger, onions, kpakpo shito paste
- 1 table spoon dry spices
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 100g curry powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper paste to taste
- 2 stock cubes (optional)
- 1000ml boiling water
To ensure the crispiness of the vegetables, vegetables can be cooked separately and mix into fully cooked jollof.
- 1. Pour the vegetable oil into a thick bottom saucepan and place on moderate heat. Add the sliced onion and fry to a golden-brown colour.
2. Add the fresh and tin tomato, pureed onion, pepper paste, garlic, ginger, onion and kpakpo shito paste and fry for about 15 – 20 minutes until cooked and reduced.
3. Add salt, 1 stock cube and curry powder.
4. Add the tomato ketchup if the stew has a sharp sour taste or if a sweeter taste is desired.
5. Wash the rice in a colander under running water.
6. Pour into the stew in the saucepan
7. Cover with boiling water 1 inch above the rice, add salt and 1 stock cube, stir and cover with a tight lid and boil for 5 minutes on moderate heat.
8. Lower the heat and cook for another 25 minutes, turn the rice occasionally to ensure even cooking and prevent burning. Add a little more boiling water if needed.
9. Clean and dice the vegetables into medium cubes.
10. Add and mix the vegetables into the cooking rice. Cover and continue cooking for 10 more minutes on very low heat.
11. Take off the heat and serve.
- Air-conditioned Vehicle
- Tour Guide
- Market Tour
- Food stuffs
- Any private expenses
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- We can pick up guests within 10 km from the Accra Tourist Information Centre.
- Accra Tourist Information Centre, HRG6+2WV, Accra, Ghana In the Premises of Accra Tourist Information Centre. Near Afrikiko Restaurant on the Liberation Road, Opposite The Presidential Jubilee House.
- Airports: Kotoka Airport, Accra Ghana
- Ports: Tema
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
- Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
+233 302 794 442 or +233 207 150 150