Aponkye Nam Jollof (Chevon and Rice in Tomato Sauce)
Jollof is a rich party dish that is present on almost all function menus in Ghana. It is served at parties and funerals alike. It is very tasty with a rich brick red colour that is attractive to children and adults as well. Jollof can be prepared plain or with meat or vegetables. Common meats used in the preparation of Jollof are Chevon (goat meat) or Beef (cow meat).
- 400g local rice (or any rice of choice)
- 800g Chevon (Goat meat)
- 400g fresh pureed tomatoes
- 100g tin tomato paste
- 2 table spoon tomato ketchup (optional)
- 2 large sized onions (1 pureed, one sliced)
- 3 table spoons of garlic, ginger, onions, kpakpo shito paste
- 1 tsp dry spices
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 100g curry powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper paste to taste
- 2 stock cubes (optional)
- 1000ml boiling water
1. Clean the meat and cut into medium chunks.
2. Place the meat in a saucepan. Add the salt, stock cube, dry spices, garlic, ginger, onion and kpakpo shito paste.
Mix spices into the meat until well coated. (The meat should taste slightly salty so that it does not lose its taste after the puree is added).
3. Cover and bring the meat to a boil and cook for about
5 minutes. Add some hot water, lower the heat and cook for an additional 25 minutes or until the meat is tender.
4. Fry the meat in pre-heated oil on all sides.
5. Take the meat out of the oil and pour in the sliced onion. Fry to a golden-brown colour.
6. Add the fresh and tin tomato, pureed onion and pepper paste and fry for about 20 minutes until cooked and reduced.
7. Add the cooked meat with stock, to the stew, stir and correct the seasoning.
8. Simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Add the tomato ketchup if the stew has a sharp sour taste or if a sweeter taste is desired.
10. Wash the rice in a colander under running water.
11. Pour into the stew in the saucepan
12. Cover with boiling water 1 inch above the rice, add salt and 1 stock cube, stir and cover with a tight lid and boil for 5 minutes on moderate heat.
13. Lower the heat and cook for another 30 minutes, turn the rice occasionally to ensure even cooking and prevent burning.
14. Take off the heat and serve.
- Air-conditioned Vehicle
- Tour Guide
- Market Tour
- Food stuffs
- Any private expenses
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- We can pick up guests within 10 km from the Accra Tourist Information Centre.
- Accra Tourist Information Centre, HRG6+2WV, Accra, Ghana In the Premises of Accra Tourist Information Centre. Near Afrikiko Restaurant on the Liberation Road, Opposite The Presidential Jubilee House.
- Airports: Kotoka Airport, Accra Ghana
- Ports: Tema
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
- Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
+233 302 794 442 or +233 207 150 150